The historic centre, cosy shopping streets, many cultural delights and a beautiful rose garden have led to this city being referred to as ‘the Rose in the Region’. The city hall, the tower and the stained glass windows of the church at the Marktplein are beautiful. If you have some time left, please visit these buildings and have a look inside!
Winschoten is alive. The city, with its rich history, was granted city rights in 1391. The historic buildings and three old mills keep this history alive. You can spend hours in the snugly shopping streets that offer a myriad of bars, restaurants, art and culture. The rose garden is located in the heart of Winschoten and has, since its origination in 1967, developed to become one of the top 3 rose gardens in The Netherlands. This is where Winschoten received its nickname ‘Rose in the Region’.
During the Middle Ages Winschoten served as a resting place for those who travelled from and to Germany. It was located in the centre of impassable bogs and swamps. During the French time Winschoten gained a court, district court, tax offices, and offices for mortgages and registration. At the end of the 19th century, when a high school and other schools were added, and the means of transportation developed due to technical advances, Winschoten flourished. It became the centre of industry and wholesale businesses.
Capital rentier houses
The farmers in Oldambt thrived and built capital rentier houses in Winschoten. The social club and cultural life flourished like never before. The social club ‘De Harmonie’ (The Harmony), established in 1809, still exists today.
Around the same time the nickname for people residing in Winschoten was found: ‘tellerlikker’ (Plate-Licker). Whilst people in the countryside were still eating from jars, those who lived in Winschoten were using plates already. Peasants used to refer to them as ‘Plate-Lickers’. Nowadays that nickname is a symbol of pride to the city.
The Dutch reformed church at the Marktplein is a jewel. Built in the 13th century, this church combines Roman and Gothic styles. The stained glass and oil paintings showing Bible themes are a feast for the eye. The same goes for the seperat tower that was built in de 16th century and is located in the Torenstraat. This tower, named d’olle Witte (the old white), features a carillon, which has offered beautiful melodies in the town centre of Winschoten since 1932.
The many Jews that were living in Winschoten were tradespeople who owned trading and industrial companies. Just a few of them returned from the concentration camps after the World War II. A memorandum on the wall of the train station and a monument at the Venne in Winschoten keep these black stains of history alive.