This T(R)IP takes you through the rich history of Oldambt. In the morning you will visit two museums in Heiligerlee and in the afternoon you discover the rich history of Winschoten with a guide.
Museum Battle of Heiligerlee and Bell foundry museum
Museum Battle of Heiligerlee is built in the barn of an old farm. In the middle is the "experience castle" with an auditorium. A huge picture shows how lord Adolf could win this battle. With the explanation you will learn all about the reason and the significance of this battle for the Netherlands.
There are armor and weapons from the sixteenth century, archaeological finds and a collection of old books.
Then visit the Bell foundry museum across the road, in the former Bell foundry of the brothers Bergen. In the beginning mostly bells for churches were molded, but since the late thirties they also made carillons.
After WWII the company started manufacturing firefighting supplies instead. Until 1980, because then it went bankrupt.
Tip: Indulge yourself between visits with a cup of coffee or tea with real Groninger cake or apple pie in the cafe at the museum!
After lunch a guide shows all the beautiful, historic buildings and sites in Winschoten. The guides only do so on Wednesdays from May to August and start at 14:00 at the railway station of Winschoten. You can park for free.
Make the day complete with a visit to the Rosarium, a rose garden with 320 varieties of roses and art, a lot of art. In the ‘Rose’ Pavilion you also can grab a bite to eat.
Druk hieronder op de plus om te printen.
- 10.00 am: Museum Battle of Heiligerlee and Bellfoundry Museum
- 14:00 to approximately 16:15 pm: guided walk from railway station Winschoten, or on your own
- 17.00 pm: visit Rosarium
- Museum Battle of Heiligerlee and Bell Foundry Museum
Provincialeweg 46 - Heiligerlee
- City walk Winschoten guided tour starts from the railway station, or on your own
- VVV Oldambt (Tourist office) Mr. D.U. Stikkerlaan 251 - Winschoten
- Combination ticket museums Heiligerlee: € 7.50 (adults), € 4.00 (7 to and including 17 years), free (up to and including 6 years)
- City walk with guide: € 2.00, pre-registration not required
Suggestions for lunch and dinner
- Hotel Royal (across the station)
Stationsweg 21, Winschoten
- Brasserie Dendermonde
Torenstraat 6, Winschoten
(A 10 minute walk from the station)
- Broodjes Enzo (Sandwiches etc.)
Israëlplein 1, Winschoten (A 10 minute walk from the station)
Parklaan 1A, WInschoten